Just Host Web Hosting Help
SSH Access - Generating a Public/Private Key
Generating the Key
- Login to your Just Host Control Panel
- Choose SSH / Shell Access, in the Security section.
- Click Manage SSH Keys
- Choose to Generate a new Key
- Enter a new Key password.
- Choose DSA or RSA for the type.
It is recommend that you choose RSA.
- Choose a Key size, it is recommend to use 2048 or higher.
- Click Generate Key
- Click the Go Back button.
Authorize the KeyAuthorizing the key will add the public key to the authorized_keys file.
- Click Manage Authorization
- Click the Authorize button for your newly created key.
- Click Go Back to return to the main page.
Private KeyThe private key needs to be stored on your local computer.
- To the right of your private key, click View/Download.
- Click the Download Key button to download the private key.
- If on Linux or Mac OS copy the id_dsa file to your ~/.ssh folder.
- On Windows you will want to move it some place safe.
Using your new key
WindowsFor Windows please see Using SSH on Windows (PuTTY)
Linux or Mac OS
- Open your Terminal
- Enter the following command
- If you created a passphrase you might see something like the following
Enter passphrase for key '~/.ssh/id_dsa':
Recommended Help Content
How do I create a Public/Private Key Pair in cPanel for use via SSH?
Knowledgebase Article 364,984 views tags: ssh
This article will explain how to view the outgoing email queue or exim queue in SSH.
I would like to know how to create a new gpg key using SSH access.
Related Help Content
Is SSH/Shell access enabled by default?
This article will explain how to check the dates of your backups using SSH.
How to enable/turn on SSH access for Resold accounts
How to quickly grant sudo access from the control panel
What is a Public IP Address?
What is SSH and how do I setup secure connections.
This article will explain how to view the email logs on a Dedicated or VPS server. This may be usefull if you are experiencing trouble with your email.